The 2018 Northeast Regional Media Literacy Conference took place at the…
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903
URI Providence is located in Rhode Island’s capital city, about 3 hours north of New York City and about 1.25 hours south of Boston. There is Amtrak service to Providence. A Peter Pan Bus service arrives in Kennedy Plaza, Providence: affordable, with electric plugs and WiFi. The drop-off for either mode of public transportation is less than a 15 minute walk to the URI Providence campus building.
The nearest airport is TF Green, which is about 16 min (9.4 mi) via I-95 South. The TF Green Airport website provides information about transportation options to Providence. Thrifty Car Rental provides reliable shuttles to their location from the airport terminal, should you decide to rent a car. Parking in Providence is by meters or in various public lots/ garages. We may be able to give you a voucher for daily parking; if so, that will be available at the registration desk when you arrive.
The URI Feinstein Providence Campus (otherwise known as the Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Education and Professional Studies [CEPS]) is located at 80 Washington Street in the historic Shepard Building in the heart of downtown Providence, between Washington and Westminster Streets. To get here, follow the directions below.
- DRIVING NORTH ON I-95: Take Exit 22A, proceed to light and bear right onto Francis Street. Take another right onto West Exchange Street to the Rhode Island Convention Center north or south garage.
- DRIVING SOUTH ON I-95: Take Exit 22A, proceed forward from light onto Memorial Boulevard and take first right onto Exchange Street. Take another right onto Exchange Terrace, follow Exchange Terrace onto West Exchange Street to the Rhode Island Convention Center north or south garage.
Walking directions from the Convention Center Parking Lot to the URI Feinstein Campus:
- Exit the Convention Center Parking Lot and walk approx. 1 block east to the end of the parking garage. At the intersection, the Omni Hotel will be on your left, a small park will be straight ahead, and a building with a green top and white mural tiles will be on your right.
- Proceed to the right around the building with the mural tiles and as you turn right, proceed straight on Fountain Street (head away from the park).
- Take your first left onto Union Street and walk for two blocks to Washington Street. The URI Feinstein campus will be straight ahead on your right at the intersection of Union and Washington. The Paff Auditorium is on the first floor of the Feinstein Campus; there will be signs inside the front door to direct you to the correct location.
The Hotel Providence offered the Northeast Regional Media Literacy Conference a special rate.
The Dean Hotel is also within 1 – 2 blocks. Other area hotels include the Omni Providence Hotel, Marriott Providence Downtown, the Providence Biltmore Hilton, the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Providence, or the Hilton Providence. Each is within walking distance, weather permitting.
Getting around and Experiencing Providence
Here is a link to a Google Map and other information about travel that might assist you.
The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority offers a trip planner if your hotel or inn is outside comfortable walking distance from the URI Providence campus.
The Convention and Visitors Bureau provides information about attractions and events, should you be able to extend your visit to our capital city.
Here’s a list of walking tours of Providence.
What’s Happening in the Providence area the Weekend of November 10?
- Rhode Island Monthly calendar
- A Christmas Carol is underway at Trinity Repertory Theater
- TobyMac and the Diverse City at Providence Performing Arts Center